COVID-19 Mitigation Strategy
Under the new and ever-changing atmosphere of the COVID-19 pandemic, we quickly developed a comprehensive strategy that centered on the need to:
- Provide a safe environment for each rotation’s Soldiers and contractors through distancing and isolation practices.
- Build and maintain operations to continue executing XCTC to our high standards.
Standard Operating Procedure
With this strategy as our foundation, we began developing and documenting a thorough COVID-19 standard operating procedure (SOP) that our managers could reference. To build our SOP, we gathered information from:
- The CDC
- State departments of health
- Federal organizations
- “Best practices” from Army units, such as the JRTC and all host home stations, that were successfully conducting collective training events in a COVID-19 environment
Using the information from these sources, we determined that our primary mitigation techniques would be:
- Establishing varying levels of personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements based on spacing and number of personnel.
- Implementing isolated work groups or “bubbles” within our organization.
- Establishing “firebreaks,” which are specific protocol for entering or exiting bubbles.
When the SOP was completed, our XCTC teams incorporated it into their existing rotation plans and coordinated with ARNG to send essential PPE and sterilization gear to each XCTC site.